Sunday, August 9, 2009

Hi. Many things happened the last 2 weeks, but I'll tell the most amazing(NOT) one.

Two Saturdays ago, as I was preparing to bathe, I heard a cry and a lot of fluttering. I quickly stuck my head out of the private room(or so my parents call it) door and looked outside.

Mum was sitting on the living room floor, looking at the balcony. Dad was outside on the balcony. He was looking down on the ground(we live in a condominium) and whistling.

Hastily I checked the magpie cage. I checked that particular cage because I knew Mom always let Honey the magpie out to feed him with some protein-rich foods(in this case raw pork), because he wasn't faring very well.

The bird cage was empty.

"Where's Honey?" I demanded to know. "Where is he?"

"He flew out of the balcony." my mum said. "He escaped."

"Why didn't you shut the balcony door?"

"He was sick!" my dad said, coming into the living room. "We didn't expect him to run off like that!"

So Mum went down to look for Honey,and I went to shower. I was upset, but I wasn't surprised. Even though Honey was just a juvenile, he should not be underestimated. All magpies shouldn't.

The next day when I woke up, I saw their hopeless faces, and I immediately checked the birdcage. It was still empty.

I knew it, I thought.

"So." I said. "Honey escaped."

"We searched everywhere." they said.

So we went out for the day. Dad got cross because we were supposed to meet Grandma today, and I was wasting time.

Well...so the day went by. We got home. I had to unlock and padlock the gate, for punishment for being so slow earlier.

Then when I was locking the gate, I hurt myself.

"OW!"

I heard a scream from the balcony. Then Mom came running to me with news.

"Honey's back!"

Till this day I still wonder, what made Honey choose us instead of freedom in the skies. Here was this big chance, to live like a true bird, instead of some horrid human toy, to soar in the great skies and die wild. But he forsook this Big Chance, and came flying back to us.

This is one big mystery that I will ponder all my life. That Honey choose us, instead of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment